Tuesday 13 September 2016

Antique-dolls-16

Antique dolls are wonderful items to collect. They are charming and quite lovely and they serve to bring out the kid in you. However, antique dolls can be a little confusing. You may find a really attractive item that is practically worthless. You may also find a worthless looking doll that is worth a fortune.


Pricing antique dolls is pretty complex. There are certain designs made by certain companies that take in a pretty penny while other models are not worth very much at all. I came upon this odd discovery by a fortunate accident when I tried to sell some old toys that were in my attic.


Fortunately, I have a dear friend who is an honest, avid doll collector. She immediately grabbed on of the antique dolls and said that I needed to take the piece out of the yard sale. She practically passed out when she saw that I was selling the item for less than a dollar.


After the yard sale, she took the time to tell me that the ugly doll was worth a few hundred dollars. I had no idea that any vintage doll could yield that much money. As it turns out, many antique dolls are very rare and very desirable among collectors.


These desirable antique dolls are pretty deceptive, though. Honestly, I had the notion of just tossing the item in the garbage but I figured that someone would want to fix it. Maybe some person who liked very old looking things would be at the sale, I figured. There was no way that I would price this doll over a dollar but as it turned out, she was worth much more.


Of course, I sold the doll and was more than happy to let the new owner feel complete in his purchase. He is a collector that has several antique dolls in his stock. Ironically, he doesn’t collect dolls in particular. This puzzled me but it also let me know how valuable some antique dolls really are.


Aside from my kind friend, I had no other way of knowing if I stumbled on another valuable find. I decided to research into what guides are available to help me determine which antique dolls are valuable and which are not. I found a handful of options.


The local book store is a great research facility but it can be pretty pricy especially if the book doesn’t contain information about the specific antique dolls you are seeking. The library is hit-and-miss, too, as well as time-consuming.


The Internet turned out to be the best resource for quickly determining which antique dolls are valuable and which are not. You can also sell your items online as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment